Paul Luzetsky immigrated to the United States in 1904.   He was the son of Joannes Luzecki, a farmer, and Carolina Rymec.
It so happened that his future wife Mary Chanitsky also immigrated to the United States in 1904.
Paul came from the Galicia region of eastern Europe.   Galicia was a provence north of the Carpathian Mountains.
In 1904 Galacia was controlled by the Austrian Empire.
In 1921, after World War I, Galicia was dissolved with the western portion becoming what is now southern Poland.
The eastern portion became part of Ukraine.
The language of the eastern portion of Galicia is Ruthenian.   Today Ruthenians speaking people are refered to as Ukrainians.
Ruthenian was actually a Austrian term for Ukrainian speaking people in Galicia.
Paul came from Luzok / Luzek Gorny on the Dniester river in middle portion of Galicia which is now part of Ukraine very close to the Polish border.
From 1921 to 1939 Luzek Gorny was part of Poland.
Mary was a Slovak and came from present day Brezovica Slovakia.   Mary was the daughter of Stephen Charnitsky and Anna Brynyk.   Mary's father died in Europe but her
mother Anna came to American and re-married John Samson.
Significant World War I fighthing occured in the western Galicia region.
Paul and Mary were very lucky to have left for America when they did.
The above explains why in the 1910 and 1920 Census Paul is listed as being from Austria and having a mother tongue of Ruthenian and then in the 1930 Census he lists his place of birth as Poland with a mother tongue of Ukranian.   In 1940 he again lists his place of birth as Austria.
Paul immigrated to the United States from Luzek Gorny, Galicia, Austria to New York City via Trieste, Austria  (now Italy)  on the ship Laura.  He would have passed through Ellis Island which opened in 1892.   From there he went to the coal mining region of Northeastern Pennsylvania.   Paul first worked in a restaurant and then as a butcher in a grocery store owned by the Lukesh family in Swoyersville.   At the time, Mary Charnitsky worked as a domestic/housekeeper for the the Lukesh family.   Paul eventually met Mary and on August 7, 1906 they were married in Swoyersville.   Paul worked as a coal miner well into the 1930's and maintained a farm and farm stand in his later years.
For some reason in 1928 Paul needed to obtain an Baptismal Witness from the Catholic Church in Luzek Gorny. Click on the following link for a PDF copy of the Baptismal Witness. The form is in Ukrainian and Latin while the handwriting is in Latin. Notice on the form that Paul's name is written as Paulus and the country as Republica: Polonia since Luzek Gorny was part of Poland at this time.
See the below image and translation of the Parentes/Parents section of Paul's Baptismal Witness.
Notice that all women are referred to as "the daughter of".
in Luzek gorny
son of Gregori
Luzecki and Marie
daughter of Basilio Hodico.
daughter of Petri
Rymec , road
in Luzek gorny
daughter of Konig
While Paul's parents, Joannnes and Carolina Luzecki, and some of his siblings never came to America, 3 of his siblings, Alexander, Christnia, and Parachevia(sic) did.   However, in time Parachevia, went back to Europe.
Alexander Luzetsky (1884-1964) immigrated to America in 1908 or 1909.   He was born May 15, 1884 according to his World War II draft registration.
Although according to his marriage license registration it was 1886 and his World War I registration it was May 16, 1885.
On July 15, 1911 he married Martha Yanyk / Yanick / Yonic in Edwardsville.
By 1920 the couple lived on Swoyer Street in Swoyersville and they had 5 children.
In the early 1920's the family moved to Chesapeake City, Cecil County, Maryland and by 1930 they had 10 children.
By 1940 they had a total of 13 children:
Anna, Justina, Mary, John, Michael, Paul, Steve, Peter, Nick, Margaret, William, Alexander, and Helen.
As of 2017 Margaret, William, and Helen are still living.
Christina Luzetsky Lazar (1889-1952) immigrated to America in 1906 or 1907 to work as a housekeeper/domestic.
Soon after her arrival she married 27 year old Alex Lazar of Luzerne.
Their marraige license was issued on September 17, 1907 but the Reverend who married them never returned to sign the registary with the actual wedding date.
According to the Marriage License registration Christina was born May, 30 1885.   Making her 22 at the time of the marriage.   However subsequent
Census information shows her to be born in 1889, making her only about 17 at the time of the wedding. Most likely she adjusted the date to make her of legal age.
In 1910 they were living in Luzerne on Oliver St and had one daughter.   Sadly they had also lost one child Nicholas by then.
Sometime before 1920 they moved to Miller street in Luzerne and lived there for manly years raising their family.
They eventually had 10 known children:
Annie, Nicholas, Michael, John, George, Mary, Margaret, Steven, Peter, Irene, and Helene.
As of 2017 Helene is still living.
John married Susan Gurchick of Edwardsville on October 27, 1929.   Initially the young couple lived with Susan's parents on Zerby Ave in Edwardsville.   John and Susan had 3 chilren, Marie 1932, Lorraine 1936, John 1939.   In 1940 they continued to live on Zerby Ave in a house shared with Susan's brother and his family.  The houses that they lived in on Zerby Ave are still there and in well kept condition.   In their later years. John and Susan moved to New Jersey and then to Florida.   Marie settled in Florida, Lorraine in New Jersey, and John in Georgia.
Michael Malenky and Anna Luzetsky were Married November 21, 1927 in Swoyersville.
Michael worked as a miner.
In 1930 they rented an apartment on Grove St Pringle with their daughter Marie.
By 1940 the family had grown and they rented a home on Railroad Street in Swoyersville.
Anna and Michael had 5 children Marie 1928, Anna 1930, Jean Ann 1933, Michael 1938, John 1941.
In the late 1940's Michael abandoned his family.
In the early 1950's Anna moved to CA with Jean Ann, Michael and John to be near her daughter Marie who had already moved there.
Daughter Ann stayed in Pennsylvania where she married Fred Swensson and for a time ran a hotel in the Poconos and they later retired in FL.
Marie and Jean Ann stayed in CA while Michael moved to CO and John to OR.
Anthony Krostag was born on the family farm in Stratford Wisconsin August 15, 1906.   He grew up living on the farm.   Anthony went to visit his oldest brother Joseph in Pennsylvania in the winter of 1927-1928.   We are not sure of what prompted the visit to Joe.  Joe was friends with John Luzetsky.   Joe and John had a business together for mating birds.  On one occasion Joe brought Tony to the Luzetsky residence on Main Street in Swoyersville.   There Tony met John's younger sister Mary.   Things must have went pretty well because Tony stayed in PA and by May 1, 1928 Tony and Mary were married.  They soon settled at Harveys Lake where Tony opened his first barber shop and also operated a small store. Tony and Mary lost there first son who died in the womb in November 1928 and their second son one day after his birth in November 1929.  Their son Robert was born in December 1930.   Soon after they had a daughter named Dorothy in 1932.  Another girl Catherine was born in 1933 but she only lived for 6 months.   As the depression wore on they lost the lease on their property and in 1939 they moved to Bridgeport CT to get jobs during WW II.   Tony worked at Remington Arms and cut hair part time. Mary worked at Sikorsky as a rivitor. After a while, Tony was able to buy the Barber Shop he worked at.  Many of Mary's brothers and sisters also moved to Connecticut where most of them stayed the rest of their lives.   In 1940 Tony and Mary had another child Lorraine.   Finally in 1947 after the war ended Tony and Mary moved the family back to Swoyersville to help Mary's parents with their farm and store.   By 1950 the store was turned into Tony's Barber Shop.   Tony ran the shop for almost 30 years until he took ill in 1977.   During this time Mary worked at General Cigar and then Consolidated Cigar until they closed in the late 1960's.   She then worked at Nesbitt Hospital until she retired in 1980.   The house on Main Street in Swoyersville became the gathering place for the Krostag family in Pennsylvania.   A large grape arbor out back gave the house a European feel and provided plenty of shade.  After Mary's parents died, Tony and Mary purchased the home and kept it in the family for almost 70 years.   They have 8 grandchildren, 19 great grandchildren and at last count 6 great great grandchildren.
Katherine Luzetsky married Joseph Andrasko of Larksville on April 21, 1934.
By 1935 they had a daughter Helen when the family moved to Connecticut.
By 1940 that family had grown to 4 children and they lived on Putnam St in Bridgeport CT.
The family eventually grew to 8 children.   Helen, Mary Ann, Paul, Francis, Joe, Dan, Kathy, and Steve.
Sadly two of their children, Mary Ann and Joe Jr. were lost at a young age.
Joseph passed in 1998 while Katherine lived until the age of 99.9 in 2015.